Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Reading to Isabel

When you are a parent to a child that won't live for very long, you start to prioritize what is really important for you to share with them. I had always planned on all of these opportunities Mark and I would give our children from vacations to national parks to great literature we would read to them. And while these are opportunities we hope to eventually give our children, we know that it would not be possible to give Isabel any of these experiences while she is with us. So, instead, we are picking the most important ones that we think will give us the greatest memories with her. One thing that I have been doing is reading The Little House on the Prairie series. I think she is listening too because she kicks when I read to her. Mark and I also hope to give her a taste of chocolate before she goes. I would think that I would want to have that experience if it were me, so, God willing, we are going to give Isabel some chocolate. I am sure that there are plenty of other experiences that we have given her that she will talk to us about when we meet in heaven. I would hope she remembers when we stayed at New York New York in Las Vegas and watched the planes fly in and out. I hope she remembers Mark talking to her and kissing her in my belly. I hope she remembers the crab I ate, just for her. Most of all, even though we are very sad that she had to have Anencephaly, I hope she remembers how much we love her and how we tried our best to make her time with us memorable.

5 comments:

Dominoe said...

Jill I think you are doing an amazing job with making what time you have with Isabel memorable. It's something each of you can hold onto and treasure until you meet again. What a sweet momma you are. Love you!

adrienne said...

I'm so glad you started this blog so we can follow your journey with Isabel. Your posts are so sweet. Know that we are praying and fasting for you guys.

Cambrea Jacob said...

Jill I love what you are doing with Isabel! I can't thank you enough for teaching me what is really important- you and Mark are absolutely amazing! THANK YOU!

The Gabica's said...

Thank you everyone for you comments! Mark and I really appreciate all of the support.

Diona Lim said...

I read to Faith & shared chocolate with her too!! You're doing great, Isabel would be proud of you.